Wednesday, December 1, 2010

To Eat or Not to Eat


That is the question.


Everyone is claiming to have the new and improved diet or claiming “diets” don’t work.
All I know is what works for me. I do not have a high metabolism, I’m not one of those girls who can eat whatever they want. I am one of those girls who if it [food] doesn’t taste good or if I have to eat it over and over again, I will stop.
I refuse to starve myself or do anything else that is unhealthy to my body. So I went on  a search to find tools that can help me eat healthier. I applied simple science to my solution. Burn more calories than you eat, and limit your fat intake. Sounds simple, right?  Well, I have some help from a couple good sources.

One of the tools I use, and swear by, is the book “ The Calorie King ® Calorie FAT & Carbohydrate Counter” This book has the nutritional value of pretty much everywhere you eat out, from the local carnival to Outback steakhouse. I paid $8.99 for my copy and has saved me numerous times from making the wrong decision. ISBN 978-1-930448-22-3 or www.calorieking.com

Another tool I found very helpful is the California Tortilla Website Nutritional Calculator. The calculator allows anyone to modify their order.  I can take my Southwestern Chicken Salad and shave off 42% of the calories and 52% of the fat grams by modifying my order.

FROM:                                                                      TO:
Calories636 Calories from Fat 324
Total Fat 36.03g
   Saturated Fat 13.41g   
Cholesterol 127.50mg   
Sodium 954.00mg           
Total Carbohydrates 34.51g        
   Dietary Fiber 10.20g    
   Sugars 2.00g
Protein 51.81g   Vitamin A 250%
Calcium 52%       Vitamin C 102%
Iron 34%

Calories368 Calories from Fat 155
Total Fat 17.20g
   Saturated Fat 2.72g     
Cholesterol 90.00mg      
Sodium 723.00mg           
Total Carbohydrates 21.00g        
   Dietary Fiber 8.70g      
   Sugars 2.00g
Protein 39.69g   Vitamin A 237%
Calcium 15%       Vitamin C 102%
Iron 30%
Yes, it still has that great Cali Tort Taste.

Other items I have learned to love are Lite Blue Cheese Dressing and of course Oscar Meyer Turkey Bacon.... They are great toppings on my Wedge Salad.

What are some of your favorite substitutes

No comments:

Post a Comment